ProZ.com is running the first hybrid translation contest, "Dust Bowl". This contest will take place through the ProZ.com website, the ProZ.com Mobile app and the site's Facebook page.
This first translation mash-up is inviting language professionals to propose the translation of the song "Dust Bowl" by Joe Bonamassa into as many languages as possible and in three different stages:
- A web stage where professionals are already submitting the translation of the first part of the song through the ProZ.com website: https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/47
- A mobile stage where translators will be invited to submit their entries through the ProZ.com Mobile app: https://www.proz.com/mobile
- And a social media stage where ProZ.com Page followers will be invited to propose their translations in reply to a post and participate to win ProZ.com merchandising: https://www.facebook.com/prozdotcom/
At the end of all stages, "Dust Bowl" mash-ups will be made out of winning entries in each language pair and winners will be widely promoted. Since each stage will have its own set of winners, final mash-ups in each language pair may have more than one professional promoted as expert.
Who can participate?
During the web stage, only ProZ.com members may submit entries in pairs in which the member population is large enough to support competition. Those pairs are:
English to Arabic, English to Bulgarian, English to Chinese, English to Czech, English to Danish, English to Dutch, English to French, English to German, English to Greek, English to Hungarian, English to Indonesian, English to Italian, English to Japanese, English to Norwegian, English to Polish, English to Portuguese (BR), English to Portuguese (EU), English to Romanian, English to Russian, English to Spanish, English to Swedish, English to Turkish
In pairs other than these, any registered user of ProZ.com can submit an entry. And though non-members cannot submit entries in the above pairs, they will be able to rate and vote on entries submitted by others as from next week.
During mobile and the social media stages, any ProZ.com Mobile user and ProZ.com Facebook page follower will be able to submit an entry.
What's the timeline for the translation mash-up?
ProZ.com website stage:
- September 25-30: Web submissions
- October 1-7: Web finals / voting
- October 8: Announcement of web winners
ProZ.com Mobile stage:
- October 8-14: Mobile submissions
- October 15-21: Mobile finals / voting
- October 22: Announcement of mobile winners
ProZ.com Facebook page stage:
- October 22-28: Social network submissions
- October 29: Social network drawing and announcement of winners
If you need more information about ProZ.com translation contests, click here. For more information about ProZ.com Mobile visit this page. To check out the ProZ.com Facebook page, click here.
Now take a break, listen to the song and test your skills while having fun.