- 55% of freelancers spend 3 hours a week on their online marketing efforts
- 51% of respondents considered marketing too time-consuming, and 41% felt marketing was too costly
- 83% are investing financially in online marketing of some sort
- 72% say they are spending less than but up to 100 USD a month in marketing (those who spend more than that report earning more)
- The average survey respondent had reached their income goal within two years of starting out
The survey sample were some 2,000 US freelancers of all types, so it is reasonable to expect those numbers to be somewhat different if we narrow it down to translators and interpreters, expand the sample to other countries, or both.
One number in particular that caught my eye was the monthly investment in marketing. 100 USD a month sounded pretty steep to me, but maybe I'm wrong. 1,200 USD in freelancer marketing a year. Do you spend that much on your marketing? If so, drop me a line, I'd be very interested in hearing about it and if you find it to be a good investment.
If you are already a paying ProZ.com member, you are spending between 12 and 18 dollars a month on marketing through your membership, though you get all the rest of the tools and opportunities available along with it. It's a kind of marketing that is easy to do, what we'd call passive marketing.