A new year is getting started, and so are some of our new site members. At ProZ.com, there are members who are starting out, also some who have been in the profession for a while, and even many who have a steady list of clients. What do they all have in common? They have invested in their businesses through membership as a smart strategy to be prepared for whatever tomorrow brings. So, congratulations for such a smart move, members, and welcome!
If you created an account at ProZ.com and your primary goal is to find clients, the first thing you should know is that the main source of contact from clients is the directory. This means potential clients searching the directory using various criteria (languages, services, fields, credentials, client feedback, etc.) and contacting you based on your profile information. Here is where profile information and membership become relevant:
- Membership is what will make your profile stand out in the directory because directory results are order by membership status --members show first, then non-members in a separate set. Is your profile in the first set of results?
- When potential clients open your profile page from the directory, information you report will tell them why they must hire you and not other colleagues working in your pairs and fields. What makes you the one?
Other job-related membership benefits include your quotes listed first in posted jobs, your ability to see profile visitor data and adjust profile information accordingly, the possibility of being offered cloud jobs and of quoting on member-only jobs, and the ability to check clients before accepting jobs from them.
More membership benefits? Training, software, conferences, invoicing, terminology, and more. See a full list of membership benefits by package »
So, if you would like to get the most out of the site or of your membership investment, start by completing your profile with as much information as you can, and then boost its visibility with membership.
Start with the basics
- Upload a profile photo, show your real name and add a tagline (no more "Professional and on time" or "More than words", please!)
- Order your language pairs and fields, showing your specialization on top.
- Make sure each pair specifies the services you offer in that pair.
- Report your rates and the payment methods you accept.
- Turn job email notifications on to be alerted of new jobs posted.
Complete your profile, become an active member of this amazing community, show potential clients that you take your business seriously and that you are ready no matter what the new year brings.
Happy 2022 translating!